0:00
/

The Verdict Is Final: Supreme Court Closes the Door on Trump’s E. Jean Carroll Appeal

There is no higher court and no more appeals. As of Monday, the jury’s decision that Donald Trump sexually abused and defamed E. Jean Carroll is now a permanent and unchangeable part of American law.

The Supreme Court delivered that outcome the way it disposes of most business it wants no part of: quietly. In an unsigned order issued Monday, the justices denied the sitting president’s request that they reconsider their earlier refusal to hear his case.

No explanation accompanied the decision. No justice signed it. Trump’s petition simply appeared in a list of names filed under the heading “rehearings denied.”

What Was Decided

The original verdict came in May 2023. After a two-week trial in Manhattan federal court, a unanimous jury found Trump responsible for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll when he publicly challenged her story. The jury awarded her $5 million in damages.

Trump has denied Carroll’s allegations consistently and continues to do so. What he has run out of is places to argue the point.

Roberta Kaplan, Carroll’s attorney, explained the importance clearly. She said her team was glad the Supreme Court again refused to hear the case, making the jury’s unanimous verdict against Donald Trump final and impossible to challenge in any court.

That last point is the whole story. This case is not just unlikely to be overturned or probably settled. It is final.

How He Got Here

Photo Credit: gints.ivuskans for Deposit Photos

Trump’s case went through every level of the federal courts, and he lost at each stage.

In December 2024, a three-judge panel of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan upheld the jury’s verdict. In November 2025, his lawyers asked the Supreme Court to take the case and overturn the verdict. Carroll’s lawyers urged the justices to reject the petition. In June of this year, the Court declined to hear the appeal.

His lawyers then asked the justices to reconsider that refusal, which was a procedural long shot. Monday’s order gave their answer.

The Money Is Already Gone

Trump put the $5 million award, plus interest, into a court account a few weeks after the 2023 verdict. The money stayed there during three years of appeals.

In July, after the Supreme Court’s first denial, a Manhattan federal judge ordered the funds released. Carroll’s legal team said the total — roughly $5.6 million with accumulated interest — had been disbursed to her.

So Monday’s order did not release any money or start a new payment. That transfer happened weeks ago. What Monday’s decision did was remove the last possible way Trump could try to get the money back.

The Larger Judgment Is Still Pending

The $5 million case is not the only one. Carroll won a second, far larger verdict against Trump over statements he made about her in 2019.

In January 2024, a separate federal jury ordered Trump to pay Carroll $83.3 million in damages after concluding that he had defamed her. Last September, a federal appeals court upheld that award.

Trump’s lawyers have also appealed that decision to the Supreme Court. According to NBC News, the Court is not expected to make a decision until later this year.

Combined, the two judgments total roughly $88 million. One is now beyond appeal. The other is one denial away from joining it.

What the Silence Tells You

The Supreme Court does not explain denials of certiorari, and it certainly does not explain denials of rehearing petitions. Reading intent into an unsigned list would be a mistake.

But the official record is clear and should be stated fully. A jury heard the evidence and ruled against him. A three-judge appeals panel reviewed the decision and let it stand. The Supreme Court declined to review it. His lawyers asked the Court to reconsider, and the Court refused again. Every judge and juror who reviewed this case reached the same conclusion, and the country’s highest court has twice chosen not to change it.

Tdid not imdeclinedquest for comment on Monday.

The Part That Should Register

A sitting president is now permanently and legally found liable for sexual abuse. This is not just an accusation or an allegation. The case has been judged, appealed, and is now closed.

This fact was delivered Monday in a document with no explanation, no signature, and the president’s name listed among other denied petitions. Most Americans may not even notice it.

It is worth registering.

If you can afford to chip in less than $7/month as an annual supporter you can help us increase our coverage of Trump’s illegal and immortal activities and expose his administration. If you don’t have the means to contribute right now, please consider a free subscription so we can reach as many people as possible with our grassroot campaign! We’d love to continue this week off with your support!

This Substack is reader-supported. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.


Democratic Reporter is a grassroots campaign funded by the people who read it. Follow us for the accountability this administration is counting on you never seeing.

Share

Share Democratic Reporter

Discussion about this video

User's avatar

Ready for more?